It may have been the first time in over 500 years that Hebrew was heard in these walls. The members of the Cantors Assembly Mission to Spain visited Santa María la Blanca built in the late 12th century, it was originally known as the Ibn Shushan Synagogue. It survived the ages as a catholic church, it is still owned and maintained by the Arch Diocese of Spain. the Ibn Shushan Synagogue is considered to be the oldest synagogue structure in Europe still standing. Joined by the other 60 Cantors on the mission, Hazzan Alberto Mizrahi, President of the Cantors Assembly leads a singing of Ani Ma'amin in what became one of the most moving moments of the mission.
About The Author
- Sacred Sounds: Special 2017 Convention Issue Now Available!
- NEWEST PUBLICATION: Shira Chadasha- Music of the Independent Minyanim
- Cantor Azi Schwartz (Park Avenue Synagogue) singing ‘Adon Olam’ to the tune of ‘You’ll Be Back’ from the musical Hamilton.
- Concert Event: Hazzan Alberto Mizrahi in the Great Lakes Region
- Hazzan Jacob “Jackie” Mendelson: “That’s How I Learned the Hazzanus”: Recalls Singing Zmiros With His Family