It may have been the first time in over 500 years that Hebrew was heard in these walls. The members of the Cantors Assembly Mission to Spain visited Santa María la Blanca built in the late 12th century, it was originally known as the Ibn Shushan Synagogue. It survived the ages as a catholic church, it is still owned and maintained by the Arch Diocese of Spain. the Ibn Shushan Synagogue is considered to be the oldest synagogue structure in Europe still standing. Joined by the other 60 Cantors on the mission, Hazzan Alberto Mizrahi, President of the Cantors Assembly leads a singing of Ani Ma'amin in what became one of the most moving moments of the mission.
About The Author
Listen to our Members: Past and Present
- Journal of Synagogue Music, September 2017 Issue is Now Available!
- ‘Music is life!’ Squirrel Hill Cantor Moshe Taubè, once on Schindler’s list, in his ninth decade still singing
- Save the Date for the Annual Western Region Mid-Winter Retreat!
- Check out our NEW Digital Downloads!
- You’re Invited to the New Jersey and Delaware Valley Regional Retreat August 20-21!